Reflect on a time when you discovered a new perspective that completely changed how you viewed a person, group, or place. How did your previous “single story” shape your thoughts or actions?

Prompt Response: A time that I discovered a new perspective that changed how I viewed a group was in band class. I remember seeing all of the freshman and sophomores and scoffing and being annoyed that they were in my class. I thought that they were too immature and wouldn't be able to play any of our music well. However, this changed when I first heard them play solos in class. I realized that they actually were very talented, despite their sometimes annoying behavior. My single story for them made me underestimate their skills, but when I saw their abilities I gained more respect for them.

Summary: Today in class we completed the Common Lit assignment about single stories.

Reflection: I gained better reading comprehension skills and better understanding of how stereotypes can shape your internal story about a group of people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Celie says, “The God I been praying and writing to is a man. And act just like all the other mens I know,” she expresses disappointment, betrayal, and disillusionment. Discuss a moment in your own life when something you believed in turned out to be different than what you imagined. How did this realization shape your identity or worldview?

Write about something that you wish you had more of.

In "The Lamb" and "The Tyger", both poems suggest that beauty and danger can come from the same source. Describe a time when something or someone you admired also scared or challenged you. How did that experience change the way you see the world or the idea of “goodness”?